Saturday, September 8, 2018

Hello :)


Hello Everyone,

My name is Jennifer. I’m 40-years-old. I’m trained as a public relations professional but have interests in several areas. I’m a writer, advocate, improviser, and singer. Some of this, I have left and returned to, for various reasons over the last of twenty or so years.

There are other facts about me that you will learn as this blog progresses. For this first entry though, I thought I would introduce myself as a person and explain why I wanted to reboot this blog. My goals in starting this blog are not only to make people more aware regarding disability issues, it is to encourage younger people with or without disabilities to be more active in their own lives and communities.

By more active, I mean in any and every way possible, especially in person. This is particularly true for those of us with disabilities, I believe the more we’re seen the more we are heard.  I’m well aware of the misconceptions relating to disability, however, I feel this provides us with more reasons to live loudly in order to be heard and seen. Your interests don’t need to lie in the arts. If you are interested in conservation, why not join a local environment group? I’m a huge believer in action and participation.

Yes, I have cerebral palsy which is a group of disorders that influence how an individual’s brain functions in relation to movement. In some cases, it can affect speech, cognitive function, CP is a form of brain damage. It can occur before, during, and after birth. There are multiple types and there is no cure. If you would like more information please visit The Mayo Clinic Website.

In my case, I need help with daily personal care tasks, transportation, and household chores.  Throughout my required education, I was in general education classes. I utilized special education for personal care assistance and accommodations needed due to the physical limits of my disability.

This blog will largely operate as a collection of stories from my own life, as I remember them, both past and present. It may not always touch base with a disability-related connection, because I consider myself a person first and foremost. I hope it spreads knowledge, hope, and entertains. Thank you for reading this first entry. Please feel free to share.  I’ll “see” you soon!









No comments:

Post a Comment

World CP Day 2019

In March 2019, I was given the opportunity to answer some questions about CP from 3rd graders in the Miami, Florida area.This was for Nation...